Friday, May 19, 2017

The nature of forgiveness



II Samuel 19:18b-20 When Shimei son of Gera crossed the Jordan, he fell prostrate before the king and said to him, “…Do not remember how your servant did wrong on the day my lord the king left Jerusalem. … For I your servant know that I have sinned…”

As they say, “What goes around comes around,” and although that is not from the Bible, it certainly is a modern way to describe what happened in these verses.  David had chosen to not react or retaliate against Shimei when he cursed and threw stones at David (see chapter 16) but now Shimei has a totally different attitude.  He recognizes that what he did was against the king who is now back in leadership.  It’s impossible for us to know for certain what Shimei’s motive is for repentance but I think the bigger lesson is David’s response.  It appears that even now, when he is once again in charge, David still takes no steps to retaliate against Shimei even though he is certainly in a position to do so  He chooses not only to let bygones be bygones but even stops those who would retaliate on his behalf (v.21).  I want to be like David and not retaliate every time I am wronged.  That is not easy; it is only possible as I become a woman after God’s own heart just as David was a man after God’s own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment