Thursday, May 25, 2017

My duty to worship



I Chronicles 23:28-31 The duty of the Levites was to help Aaron’s descendants in the service of the temple of the lord … There were also to stand every morning to thank and praise the Lord.  There were to do the same in the evening…

David the king worked to enhance the organization of worship and temple upkeep that had been started by Moses (in the book of Leviticus).  The duties of the priests needed fine-tuning after the temple became a permanent structure.  I find it fascinating to see the thought and planning of the music and worship-leading.  This has so often in my experience and observation been the weakest area of the church, but there is quite a lengthy section here in I Chronicles about this.  Then my thought goes immediately to the New Testament where we are told that we, as believers, are the “royal priesthood.”  So I see the need for me to recognize a couple of principles for my own life:
  1. I should worship morning and evening, i.e., all day long;
  2. It is my duty as a believer to do this;
  3. Part of my duty as a New Testament priest is to encourage/assist my fellow priests, my believer friends who are priests as I am, to worship, thank and praise the Lord, and to serve.  In other words, I have a big responsibility for myself to worship and praise God, but also to my brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment