Friday, May 26, 2017

I am "hemmed in"



Psalm 139:5 You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.

My first thought about being hemmed in is a negative one but in this verse the sense is more of protection and assurance for me.  As I have thought about this concept of being hemmed in on all sides (“behind and before”), several things come to mind:
  1. "YOU hem me in" speaks of God and His powerful and security-enhancing presence.
  2. Friends (Godly men and women) that I have can be a wall of protection as well.  “They [David’s men] were a wall around us all the time we were herding our sheep near them.” (I Samuel 25:16)
  3. “[God’s] unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him.” (Psalm 32:10)
  4. “The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him…” (Psalm 34:7)
  5. “As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people…” (Psalm 125:2)
  6. We are “surrounded by … a great cloud of witnesses” (Hebrews 12:1)
In other words, being hemmed in on all sides is a very good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment