Sunday, March 5, 2017

Total, Committed, Determined Obedience



Numbers 24:13  Even if Balak gave me all the silver and gold in his palace, I could not do anything of my own accord, good or bad, to go beyond the command of the Lord…

This statement of determination strikes me as particularly powerful and meaningful because it is the second time Balaam made almost the same declaration to Balak’s representatives (see 22:18).  In the two times he covered the whole “gamut” of what he could decide to do or not do:  the first time he could not do anything great or small to go beyond the command of God, and the second time he could not do anything of his own accord, be it good or bad, to go beyond that command.  Big, little, good, or bad, it all had to fall within what Balaam knew were his boundaries of action.  He knew that even all the riches he could potentially gain were not worth disobedience to God.  I hope I can learn to follow that clearly defined path of obedience in my own life.  It is something I can see myself having been learning for many years now, slowly, bit by bit.  Total, committed, determined obedience is my only path to peace and a clear conscience in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment