Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Lesson in humility



Deuteronomy 9:5 It is not because of your righteousness or your integrity that you are going to take possession of their land; but on account of the wickedness of these nations.

What a humbling reminder!  Just a couple of chapters earlier, God reminded the Israelites that His blessing was not based on how big or great their nation was, and now He reminds them that His blessing is also not based on how good or righteous they are.  Then add the fact that the wickedness of those other nations was so great that it overwhelmed what little bit of righteousness and integrity the Israelites had … not a very pretty picture of the “good” side.  That wasn’t enough to gain God’s blessing.  Instead, the wickedness of the nations was just greater than the Israelites’ goodness.  Not flattering to Israel, and a great reminder to me of the weakness of any of my good points in relation to the holiness of God and the blessing of God in my own life.  What God does in my life is a picture of His mercy and grace for unbelievers, not a picture of my righteousness or integrity.  Like I said, this is a humbling reminder for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment