Wednesday, March 8, 2017

It's not always convenient



Numbers 32:16-17  We would like to build pens here for our livestock and cities for our women and children.  But we will arm ourselves for battle and go ahead of the Israelites until we have brought them to their place.

This is a beautiful example of commitment.  The tribes of Reuben and Gad were ready (and able) to settle down in their permanent locations, but they also had a commitment to the rest of the Israelites to help them get possession of the Promised Land, so they chose to put their own desires aside until their other commitment was completed.  They were ready to settle in and be comfortable, but they chose to arm themselves for battle instead, for the good of the whole group.  They had to consciously and deliberately make that decision and although it was undoubtedly a difficult one to make, in the end they received the inheritance they wanted all along (see 32:33-42), but with the satisfaction of knowing all of what God had done to help the other tribes of Israel obtain their land.  Unfortunately, I see in myself the weakness of often being unwilling to set aside my own interests, my own agenda of activities, in order to participate in bringing blessing to others.  I have that tendency to be self-seeking and when that appears, I have to battle the temptation.  If I am willing to accept the challenge of being committed to assisting others, God will bring me the ultimate blessing of providing what I want and need.  It is not always convenient to follow God’s perfect plan but it is always satisfying and beneficial in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment