Wednesday, March 22, 2017

God bless my skills



Deuteronomy 33:11a Bless all his skills, Lord, and be pleased with the work of his hands.

This is part of the blessing-prayer that Moses gives to Levi as he was preparing to turn over his leadership to Joshua.  Because Levi’s calling was to lead Israel in their spiritual efforts, I find this blessing particularly meaningful.  What special skills would Levi have?  Verses 8-10 include things such as: 1) putting aside personal interests (v.9a), 2) watching over God’s Word (v.9b), 3) teaching the Word (v.10a), and 4) offering incense and burnt offerings (v.10b).  Most of these were non-physical labor kinds of skills, but here was a prayer of blessing over those skills that are often forgotten.  This is my reminder that even my non-physical labor can be blessed of God, so nothing I do ever needs to be outside of that blessing.  As I have grown older and find myself reflecting on my life experiences, I have frequently been troubled over some jobs I’ve performed that I felt like were less than stellar even though I was trusting God as I did them … jobs such as leading the library through the aftermath of the fire.  That was not a physical job but it took a lot of work, and as I am reminded from this verse, I can rest in the fact that God blessed my skills and that He is pleased with my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment