Monday, October 23, 2017

Who gets the praise?



John 8:54 If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing.  My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me.

Although I must admit I have struggled to truly understand this verse, I do see a basic principle of life here that is good for me to be reminded of regularly.  It is always better for another other than yourself praise you, and Jesus even used this principle on Himself.  If we let God be the One Who brings praise to us through another person, then we can allow ourselves to be praised because then the glory is God’s and not ours alone.  When we can accept praise from others in the spirit of humility, then receiving that praise will be “safe” for us.  To accept praise in any other spirit will destroy its good effects by drawing people’s attention away from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment