Monday, October 2, 2017

What long range effect?

It is October already!  In my quest to read through the Bible chronologically, this brings me into the New Testament and as I began reading the very familiar stories of Jesus' birth and life on earth as a man, I found myself praying a lot that God will show me new insights into His message for me personally out of such familiarity, and I saw Him answer my prayer in this reading today as I pondered the effect of the miraculous birth on those privy to it at the time...



Luke 2:18 … and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.

The experience of the shepherds with the angels had an effect on them but I have been surprised at two things from this story:
  1. There is no indication of what long range effect the experience had on those shepherds.  One can only hope that those who were still living 30 years later were/became believers in the man they had seen as a baby.  We don’t know, of course, how many of Jesus’ followers had been influenced in some way by one of the shepherds, but I certainly hope that was the case.
  2. Scripture does not say that any of the people who were amazed at what the shepherds said ever did anything more than be amazed, which saddens me in a sense.  I don’t mind amazing people with my testimony of God’s grace in some way, but I sincerely want their amazement to stretch further into full-blown faith because of that testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment