Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Shall I come?



Matthew 8:7 Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”

I see two interesting implications I can learn from in this one simple question Jesus asked the centurion.  For one thing, when the centurion came to Jesus, he just said his servant was ill.  He did not say, “Please heal him.”  By asking this question, Jesus was asking the centurion if he thought Jesus could heal, so if the centurion said yes, he was declaring his faith in Jesus’ ability to heal an illness.  Secondly, in this question the centurion was declaring his acknowledgement of Jesus’ authority as more powerful, more important, than his own as a centurion.  Both implications were important to the centurion but also to everyone who witnessed this exchange and its outcome.  And that importance carries on to me, today, in the 21st century.  Do I declare my faith in His ability to heal?  And more importantly, am I acknowledging His authority in my daily life?

No comments:

Post a Comment