Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Contrast



Mark 10:32 They were on their way up to Jerusalem with Jesus leading the way, and the disciples were astonished, while those who followed were afraid.

The contrasting reaction to events leading up to this verse stood out to me as I read this.  Those around Jesus, His disciples and those who were following out of interest and/or curiosity, reacted so differently to seeing and hearing the exact same things.  My mind immediately went to what I see in my own lifetime – the contrasts of response to God’s principles of living found in Scripture.  Things that I find amazing, astonishing, or invigorating are the source of fear and anger and mockery by those who do not believe.  What I find encouraging and empowering, spiritual nay-sayers find limiting and backward.  I am learning to understand that the reason is based in the contrast of our relationship to Jesus, just as it was in this verse in Mark.  I am a committed disciple whereas the unbelievers around me are followers, interested from a distance, so their interpretation of what they see and hear will be skewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment