Thursday, October 5, 2017

Temptation



Matthew 4:1, 5a, 8a, 11 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness … Then the devil took him to the holy city … Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain … Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

I never before noticed how much the locations of Jesus’ temptations represent the full gamut of our life experience.  The wilderness of our spiritually dry times presents us with obvious-to-us opportunities for temptation to sin.  Then, even while involved in church or religious activity I find times when I am tempted to be or to do something other than godly-based things.  And in a sense I am most vulnerable to temptation when I am experiencing a powerful and meaningful spiritual high because I am not thinking about the temptation, not expecting it.  Our enemy knows us well enough to hit us with temptation when we are least expecting it as well as when we are most vulnerable so we must be on guard always,  But when we stand against it, he will leave us and God will minister to our weak or wounded spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment