Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Be seated



John 6:11 Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated.

I have never noticed this turn of phrase until today … the bread and fish were distributed to THOSE WHO WERE SEATED.   That caught my eye as I was reading and meditating on this well-known story of the feeding of the five thousand.  The emphasis has always been on the miracle of the multiplication of the food on hand, but today what struck me was that it was given to those who were seated.  Not to those milling around, not to people standing on the fringes of the groups, and certainly not to the skeptics standing apart from the groups.  No, the food was given to those who were ready to receive a part of the food being distributed.  They were seated, waiting for their portion, ready to eat what was handed to them.  It made me realize once again that as I (spiritually) sit quietly, listening for the voice of God, I will hear from Him.  We hear God’s still small voice in our quietness before Him, not in the hustle and bustle of activity, as good as that might be.  For the food that will give us the energy we need to continue, we must take time to sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment