Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Get ready for battle



Jeremiah 46:3-4 Prepare your shields, both large and small, and march out for battle!  Harness the horses, mount the steeds!  Take your positions with helmets on!  Polish your spears, put on your armor!

I love how picturesque these words are.  You feel as though you are ready to join this army preparing for battle!  As I read and thought about this verse, I was reminded almost immediately of the passage in Ephesians6:11-17 in which we are told to put on all the armor of God so we can be ready to do battle with our enemy.  Here in Jeremiah, he says to prepare our shields, in Ephesians it is our shield of faith.  Here in Jeremiah we are to prepare our shields, both large and small, and that reminds me that even if my shield of faith is small, I should prepare it for use.  Then I take my position for battle with my helmet (of salvation) on.  I cannot battle sin and evil without salvation.  That is why all our armies and governments are so unsuccessful against crime and terrorism.  Finally, I am to polish my spear.  In Ephesians that is the Word of God.  So if I am not getting all the time more acquainted with God’s Word, my spear is not getting polished and I cannot fight this battle effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment