Tuesday, February 14, 2017

With my own hands



Leviticus 7:30 With their own hands they are to present the food offering to the Lord.

The food offering (i.e., fellowship offering as described in 7:11-21) was an offering someone brought as a sign of thankfulness for something.  This verse says the person bringing the offering should himself, with his own hands, present that offering of thanksgiving to the Lord.   My thanks to God is my special offering to Him and it carries a weight that cannot be equaled by any thanks that someone else might give for that thing that God has done for me. This reminds me of a song we have sung in church at times in the past that says "We bring a sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord."  My praise and thanks is my offering to God that I can bring "with my own hands," so to speak.

Sooo ... what kind of thank offerings can I offer to God today?   Well, I can think of quite a few, actually.  Things such as:

*thanks for such good health for an overweight 70-year-old woman.  I take one pill every day and compared to many older citizens that is amazing.  I need to give an offering for that good health.

*an offering of thanks for a husband who loves God and me so much.  He washes the dishes almost every night after supper and vacuums and sweeps and mops regularly "so I don't have to do it."  Yes, God deserves a thank offering for my great husband of 29 years, 51 weeks, and 3 days.

*I should make an offering for the blessings of a more than adequate house and belongings.  Our house is small and simple but more than we really need and far more than many have.  It wasn't an expensive house but it is tight and stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer.  And after the experience of losing most of my belongings to a civil war in another country, I am thankful for each item of furniture, each trinket, each pot and pan, each plate and cup.

*An offering of thanks for my supportive family of sisters would also be in order.  Not many people have siblings with whom they get along so well, and I fully recognize the value of such a blessing.

For these and many other blessings I am happy to give my offering of thanks to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment