Saturday, February 25, 2017

Blessing and the Name of God



Numbers 6:24-27  The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.  So they shall put my name on the Israelites and I will bless them.

This blessing is so beautiful!  It is very comforting and calming to me when I hear it said over the congregation at the end of a church service.  All by itself it has beauty and meaning, but I was struck with the last sentence in v.27.  In declaring the blessing on the Israelites, the priest was placing the name of God on the people and that brought the blessing of God on them.  When this blessing is prayed over me the name of God is on me!  It invokes the blessing on God on me as well!  This realization has added a new level of depth and meaning to hearing that blessing and has made it all the more beautiful.  It also makes me realize the importance of blessing others since I am now a part of the “royal priesthood,” according to I Peter 2:9: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.  I need to be more mindful of my opportunities to bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment