Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Consecrated BY God's glory, not FOR it?



When reading in the book of Exodus this morning, I was struck by one little word ... "by."

Exodus 29:42b-43 There I will meet you and speak to you; there also I will meet with the Israelites, and the place will be consecrated by my glory.

Although this verse is talking about the location of the burnt offering at the entrance to the tabernacle, it reminds me that when I meet with God (as the burnt offering represented) regularly, its promise for me is the same as for the Israelites.  When I go to God, He will meet me and speak to me.  My “place” – where I am – will be consecrated for God’s glory.  This also reminds me of the important place my own church (Lexington Baptist Church) holds in my life.  It is the place where I and my fellow “Israelites” meet God and it is consecrated by His Glory.  I noticed that the place was not consecrated FOR His glory … it was consecrated BY His glory!  In other words, there is nothing I or anyone else in that church can do that can make it special.  If God is present, it will be consecrated.  It is a special place for me because it is the “place” God has given me, and it is consecrated by His glory.   He is present there and that is what has made it special, and why God meets me there so often.  I cannot allow myself to become lax in my presence there.

No comments:

Post a Comment