Thursday, February 9, 2017

Spirit of God and ... crafts?

 

Exodus 31:3-5 I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills … to engage in all kinds of crafts.

This is what God told Moses about Bezalel who God had chosen to work on the furnishings for the tabernacle.  I find it interesting, enlightening, and exciting to see Bezalel’s skills with his hands coupled as equal to his spiritual condition.  His ability to do his crafts – his skills – was as important to God as his being filled with God’s Spirit.  In fact, his being chosen for his skills seems to be vitally linked to his spiritual qualifications.  This spoke to me when I read it now that I am able to spend more time on my hobbies in my retirement years.  But those hobbies, and any other skills I may have, are not just for my own enjoyment, if I am anything like Bezalel.  I cannot imagine that Bezalel did not truly enjoy what he did as a craftsman.  I need not be afraid to enjoy my hobbies while at the same time letting God use them along with my spiritual “skills.”  At first I felt hesitant to say that my scrap books and cards could be/would be used by God, but as I have stepped out to allow that to happen, I have seen how they can be used to bring encouragement to others, and that is most rewarding!

That being said, I think I'll go make another Valentine card!

No comments:

Post a Comment