Monday, June 26, 2017

What kind of pathway am I carving out?




I Kings 16:30-31 Ahab son of Omri did more evil in the eyes of the Lord than any of those before him.  He not only considered it trivial to commit the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, but he also married Jezebel daughter of Ethbaal king of the Sidonians, and began to serve Baal and worship him.

It is impossible to fall up, as they say, and this is clearly evident in the saga of the kings of Israel.  It all began with Jeroboam when he made two golden calf idols for the people to worship because he was afraid they would lose their allegiance to him if they went to Jerusalem to worship (12:28ff).  He went downhill quickly after that, and began a chain of events in his descendants that was all downhill.  Nadab, his son did evil and committed the same sin (15:26).  Baasha (15:34) committed the same sin after Nadab, and his son Elah, as well.  16:23 says they aroused God’s anger by their worthless idols.  It did not stop there.  After Elah came Zimri, who followed the ways of Jeroboam and committed the same sins (16:19), and then came Omri who sinned more than all those before him (16:25), and now comes his son Ahab, more sinful still.  It behooves me to stay true to God and to my obedience to Him because I could otherwise begin a chain of evil and disobedience in those who follow me.  What kind of path am I carving for those who follow after me?

No comments:

Post a Comment