Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Fully obedient, wholly devoted



I Kings 11:2b, 4 Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love … As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his father had been.

This is my vivid reminder of a couple of things I must remember as I grow older:
  1. It is possible for me to come to love and hold fast to things I should not love, and that I know I should not love.  Even though I have known God and walked with Him for a long time now, I am still vulnerable to give my heart away if I am not careful to continually and diligently obey God in every area of my life.  Solomon held fast to his wives in love, and he was not even supposed to have married them in the first place, which reminds me of how diligently obedient I must be in all areas of my life in order to not lose my heart to the wrong things.
  2. My years of experience with God and my maturity of those years will not be enough to protect my heart from wandering.  Only my current fully devoted heart, fully devoted to loving Him supremely, only that will protect me from falling into love with something else and consequently falling away from devotion to the Lord.  I must remain diligent until the very end, and by God’s grace with the help of His Holy Spirit, I will do so.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment