Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Be steadfast

Steadfast:
1. fixed in direction; steadily directed;
2. firm in purpose, resolution, faith, attachment, etc.;
3. unwavering;
4. firmly established;
5. firmly fixed in place or position.
 

I've been noticing that God is giving me messages about persevering, or steadfastness, multiple times as this year draws to a close.  I am convinced this is His special message to me for the new year!  Today is another example of how the Spirit of God is reminding me of this important characteristic. 
James 5:11 Consider those blessed who remained steadfast.

I have noticed how much is said in the book of James about being steadfast, or perseverant.  It seems to be a key element of a “successful” Christian life.  In James 1:3 we are reminded that perseverance, or steadfastness, comes from testing and trials, so we need testing to obtain strong steadfastness … staying the course, so to speak.  Then in 1:12 we are told that the crown of life, a choice heavenly reward, is reserved for those who remain steadfast in trials.  Steadfastness is a quality high on God’s list of admirable qualities to have.  Finally, in 5:11 we see that those who remain steadfast will be blessed.  Steadfastness is not easily come by, nor easily kept, but the reward of doing so is a great heavenly reward to look forward to.  In these last days of my life, I want to become stronger, more firmly established, more unwavering, in my steadfast faith even though the way to get that way may not be an easy route.

No comments:

Post a Comment