Saturday, April 17, 2021

My Divine Tour Guide

 I was thinking of the metaphor of Jesus as the Good Shepherd, which is a beautiful metaphor but basically meaningless to the contemporary American society because we do not have shepherds.  We do not get the fullness of meaning from it like the people of Bible times, or people in countries that still have shepherds the way they did in Bible times.  The first thing that came to my mind that might be a contemporary metaphor is that of a tour guide.

When you engage a company to take you on a trip, the tour guide has decided the route you will take and the sights you will stop to see.  The guide arranges all the transportation, the hotels, and the places to eat.  They tell you what to expect and they make explanations when necessary as you go along the journey.  If an emergency arises, you call the guide and they help with whatever the need is.  

All the responsibilities of the trip are on the guide.  All I do is pay for the ticket and make personal choices in a few things, but otherwise I just enjoy the trip.

I have paid for my ticket by accepting Christ as my personal Savior.  He is now my tour guide for my journey of life.  Part of His "job" is to plan my journey, where I'll go, how long I will stay at each place, it's all laid out for me to follow along.  He will take care of me and make sure I have everything I need for my trip and will make sure I get home safe and sound.

So far, for 70+ years now, He has done a wonderful job at being my tour guide.  I plan to let Him guide me for the rest of the journey until we reach heaven.

Jesus is my Good Shepherd and my Divine Tour Guide.



No comments:

Post a Comment