Sunday, April 11, 2021

Celebration of Discipline

 Many years ago I read a book titled The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster.  It had a huge impact on my walk with God as I considered the many ways in which I could participate with God in developing my spiritual life.  A couple of years ago I discovered a companion book titled A Year with God: Living Out The Spiritual Disciplines.  When we entered into the lock-down in the early Covid-19 months and I had more time on my hands than usual, I decided to work my way through that book and in that way renew my pursuit of spiritual discipline in my own life.

According to Richard Foster, there are eighteen spiritual disciplines: With-God living (i.e., seeing God in my everyday life), prayer, study, confession, worship, service, secrecy, guidance, meditation, solitude, fellowship, fasting, chastity, submission, sacrifice, silence, simplicity, and celebration.  

With-God Living ... a concept I have found myself seeking more and more in my walk with God.  I have found it developing all throughout my life, from the time I was a child right up until now although for many years I was not aware of it as "with-God living."

One way I understand it is the fact that I have been created to share a unique relationship with God and know His presence in a uniquely human way.  That means that I have the ability to see and know God in a way that animals and plants cannot, even though they were also created by Him.  There are times when I see that relationship with Him when reading Scripture that was difficult to understand.  I sensed His presence as He gave me new insight into the passage,  I sense His presence in an encouraging email message from a friend or a note in my mailbox, or a plate of newly baked cookies from a neighbor when I am feeling discouraged.  I see God in the creative activities of making a sympathy card for a friend, or in covering an inexpensive journal with some pretty scrapbooking paper.  It comes as a result of my seeking God in every part of my life, or, as Foster calls it, "With-God Living", and it is spiritually revitalizing.



No comments:

Post a Comment