Friday, September 22, 2017

Prisoner of hope



Zechariah 9:12 Return to your stronghold, O prisoner of hope; today I declare that I will restore to you double.

This verse/promise is part of a prophecy to the Jews about the coming Messiah who would come as a King, a righteous and powerful yet humble Savior.  As a part of His powerful take-over, this passage says He will set prisoners free from their waterless pit (v.11).  Immediately after this is when this verse comes, almost as though the prophet says, “Since you are now freed, go to your safe place.”  The word “stronghold” denotes safety and security and when it is coupled with this description of the prisoners now as prisoners of hope, I see a picture of what hope can accomplish in my life when I have it.  My security as a follower of Christ is in my hope.  Hope is defined as “the feeling that what is wanted can be had” (re: www.dictionary.com) and that is exactly what my confidence in Christ is.  I am captivated by that hope … it holds me.  I am a prisoner of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment