Friday, December 1, 2017

One Bread, one body



I Corinthians 1-:17 Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body for we are all partakers of the one bread.

In this book of I Corinthians Paul gives some compelling arguments for unity among believers.  As I have been reading through this book this year, the example he gives of the bread and the body has been the most impressive to me.  I had never spent much time thinking about the example before, but this year it struck me.  In the gospels, Jesus called Himself the Bread of Life.  Everyone recognized the values of bread for life, and every culture has its own bread of bread substitute (such as rice for Chinese or yams for West Africans).  Bread is a food that unites a culture and so it is with the Christian “culture.”  Our bread, our one main uniting factor and the basic item in our sustenance is The Bread of Life.  We are all partakers of it.  We are one body sustained by one Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment