Tuesday, December 19, 2017

More training required




Titus 1:7 For an overseer, as God’s steward, must be above reproach … self-controlled.

I was stuck this morning as I read through the book of Titus how important self-control is considered for all who name the name of Christ Jesus as Savior and Lord.  A leader in the church (an overseer) has that call to self-control on him, but he is not alone.  Paul goes on to include older men (2:2), older women (2:5), and younger men (2:6) in that responsibility to learn and exercise self-control.  And just in case someone might think themselves to be exempt, Paul concludes by saying that all who have received salvation should train to be self-controlled (v.11012).  The grace of God in us will train us for self-controlled, upright, godly living.  Those areas of my life that show less discipline need to be trained for self-control in order to display godliness.  I must keep working on that, even in my older years because I have not learned total self-control yet, as much as I hate to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment