Monday, December 18, 2017

In training



I Timothy 4:7 Train yourself for godliness.

Godliness does not come naturally for the most part.  Because of my sinful nature and even though as a born-again child of God I have the Spirit of God at work in me, I still have the constant battle against sin.  This verse reminds me that I have to train myself to live in a godly fashion, to live a God-honoring life style.  The reason for this diligent training, according to this passage of scripture, is because “it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come” (v.8).  As the passage goes on, Paul tells Timothy what should be included in his training of himself, and I find it helpful and revealing to see what he lists as “training exercises”:  1) do not neglect to use my spiritual gifts (v.14), 2) immerse myself in my calling (v.15), and 3) keep a close watch on myself, i.e., be disciplined (v.16).  I have a lot of work ahead of me if I am going to become more godly!

No comments:

Post a Comment