Thursday, April 13, 2017

Trust God's love



Psalm 59:9-10a You are my strength, I watch for you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely.

When I consider the challenges of David’s situation when he wrote these verses, it reminds me of the value of trusting God.  King Saul was trying to kill David, and it isn’t difficult to imagine how challenging David’s life was.  How does a person fight against, or hide from, a powerful king/government if they are out to get you?  But throughout David’s career we find examples of his reliance on the strength that only God could give.  David learned to rely on God when he faced those difficult, even impossible, situations.  He learned about relying on God for strength and safety because of the dangers and difficulties he faced.  He couldn’t have learned that lesson any better in any other way.  God uses difficulties to help us learn and David’s experience is my reminder of that fact.  In another version (ESV), David voices his reliance on God in another way that had a powerful effect on me when I read it: "My God in his steadfast love will meet me."  It was David's complete trust in God's love for him individually that helped carry him through those difficult experiences, and that is my confidence as well ... that God's love outweighs any challenges I may face.

No comments:

Post a Comment