Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Not just a name


I Chronicles 1:10 Cush fathered Nimrod.  He was the first on the earth to be a mighty man.

I have always struggled to read through the long genealogies that we have listed in the Bible, and particularly in the books of the Chronicles.  Most of the time I just skimmed through those lists of names, but this year I decided to read the names more carefully and to note anyone that has something said about him other than his place in a family, and I am finding some interesting food for thought in the process.  I am only at chapter five as of today, but have already seen some good lessons for myself, Nimrod being the first.

1:10 ~ Nimrod was Noah’s great-grandson and according to Genesis 10:9 not only was he a mighty man but he was a “mighty hunter before the Lord.”  He built some cities, the most memorable being Ninevah.  What he did, he did “before the Lord” which leads me to believe he was honorable and strong, faithful to God in what he did.

1:19 ~ Peleg was also a great-grandson of Noah and he is mentioned in Genesis 10:25 but all we know about him is that in his lifetime “the earth was divided.”  Peleg evidently lived in a day and age very similar to today.  The world around him was a hard one in which to live and although we know nothing else about him, the fact that this is mentioned in connection to his name tells me that he must have remained faithful to God in the midst of trouble and turmoil.  What a good reminder to me!

2:3 ~ Er was Judah’s oldest son and what a sad legacy he left to us!  He was evil, and his wickedness was not “small.”  This verse says he was so evil that God put him to death.  “Nuf said …

2:7 ~ Achan is another sad legacy.  In this verse he is called “the troubler of Israel.”  He “broke faith” and had to be punished because of his selfishness (see Judges 7:10-26) that caused Israel’s defeat at Ai.

2:22 ~ Jair is a name I never noticed until this exercise, but this verse says he had 23 cities, so he was no wall flower!  He obviously had some diligence and leadership ability and God blessed him when he was willing to use his talents and personality in a way that honored God.  I pray I will spend my life that way and be remembered in those terms also.

2:30, 32 ~ Seled and Jether are totally unknown except for the fact that they were childless.  This is often a painful experience for married people, and it would definitely have been so for these ancient men, living in a society where having children was of paramount importance.  The fact that this is mentioned is my reminder that God will bless the person who is faithful to Him even when circumstances of life are difficult and/or painful.

2:33 ~ Sheshan had no sons, only daughters.  He gave one of his daughters to his Egyptian slave, Jarha, in marriage.  My first thought was really negative about Sheshan.  His daughter married his slave?  How barbaric, how cruel, how unfeeling!  But then I read how the children from that marriage were considered in the genealogy and I realized how once again God included Gentiles into Jewish lineage (remember Rahab and Ruth?).  God uses some of the most unique ways we can imagine to accomplish His purposes!  I only need to trust Him.

There are more names and more lessons to learn …

No comments:

Post a Comment