Thursday, April 19, 2018

Mine!


Psalm 18:1 I love you, O Lord, my strength.

As I was reading this psalm today, I was struck by all the descriptions of God’s character and actions on behalf of His loved ones.  It started right way from the very first verse~ (Here comes another top ten list … well, actually a top nine list this time!)
     1. My strength (v.1) … v.20 says that by Him I can run against a troop and leap over a wall and v.34 says He trains my hands for war.  Now THAT is strength!
     2. My rock (v.2) … v.22 says He set me secure on the heights, and in v.26 He gave a wide place for my steps so I don’t slip.  Mighty secure, I would say!
     3.  My fortress … and in v.43 David says that God delivered him and made him the heard of the nations and his enemies lost heart and came out of their own fortresses because of what God did for David.
     4.  My deliverer … vv.6-15 five a very picturesque description of how much God did to rescue David from his enemies when David called out for help.  God’s answer included smoke, fire, darkness, hailstones, arrows and lightning – all in response to the desperation David had.  God really DID love His child!
     5. My God … v.6 says that David’s voice reached God’s ears and solicited a quick response that showed His power.
     6. My shield … v.36 says God gave David a shield of salvation against his enemies.
     7. The horn of my salvation …. In v.40, David says his enemies turned their backs to him, i.e., they actually ran away from him!
     8. My stronghold … v.44 says that David’s enemies obeyed him and came cringing to him.  There was nothing but fear and awe once God gave David clear victory.
     9. My support (v.18)... I really love this title!  V. 24 says the Lord rewarded David for his commitment to obedience and humility (see v.17 also).

What great reminders of all God can be for me, just as He was for David.

No comments:

Post a Comment