Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The saddest verse in the Bible



Judges 16:20b But he did not know that the Lord had left him.

I think this is the saddest verse in the Bible.  For Samson, who had lived his entire life under the vow of a Nazarite (one dedicated to serving God), not cutting his hair as a part of his dedication to God, for him to not even recognize the absence of God’s Spirit, is so sad.  It is also frightening to me to see how easily this happened.  In spite of that vow of service, Samson lived a life of extreme self-indulgence without any regard for anything or anyone else, it appears.  Everything was about Samson, with no thought about his relationship with God.  I never want to become so full of myself and my own desires that I lose my sensitivity for holiness, for God’s presence and activity in my life, for attention to godliness, that I lose the ability to recognize spiritual weakness and the desire to be right with God first of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment