Monday, April 17, 2017

God's protection



Reading through the Bible chronologically has been such a blessing to me in recent years.  I have gained extra understanding and insight into scriptures that I had not seen before.  A good example is my reading of many of the Psalms of David as I read through the story of his life.  Picturing David writing these psalms under his circumstances gives some powerful impact.

Psalm 140:7 Sovereign Lord, my strong deliverer, you shield my head in the day of battle.

This picture of God’s protection brought two truths to mind as I thought about this verse.  Obviously, if one’s head is injured in battle, your physical well-being is endangered, so the one truth is that God can, and frequently does protect us from physical harm.  How many times has He protected me physically even perhaps when I did not recognize that protection?  I am sure it is more than I could count!  The second truth is a bit more subtle but in many ways more acutely necessary to my protection and that is the battle of the mind.  We are so easily swayed by the intellectual aspects of our spiritual battle to live for God daily.  It is so easy to be influenced by the reasoning of ungodly ways, the subtle yet powerful influences to make little exceptions to what we know is not the path of true righteousness.  We must rely on God’s protection to not be persuaded away from Him and His perfect plan for our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment