Monday, March 2, 2020

Nothing is wasted

As I was looking at my Bible reading journal this morning and noticing how few pages are left to be written on, I realized that I have been very negligent to record my thoughts here on my blog when it comes to my Bible reading.  In January I started over once again on reading through the Bible for the "umpteenth" time, and have felt amazed at how much I am still learning after all these years!  The Bible truly is a living book.  No matter how many times I read through it, I keep learning new things, noticing new lessons to be learned from the examples of people and events in Scripture.

This was true as I read through Exodus and Leviticus in recent weeks.  For example:


Exodus 28:12, 18, 36, 38 … the ephod … for remembrance … the breastpiece of judgment … the robe.  And it shall be on Aaron when he ministers … the turban … that they may be accepted before the Lord.

I had never noticed the specific meanings of the pieces of the high priest’s garments before.  The ephod on his shoulders had stones engraved with the names of the tribes and the passage says that was for remembrance.  It reminded the high priest (helped him remember) that he was Israel's representative before God.  The breastpiece, according to v. 28, was the breastpiece of judgment, reminding him again that he represented the entire nation.  Then there was the robe the high priest wore.  Whenever he ministered in the Holy Place he was to wear it.  It represented his responsibility before God.  He wore a turban also when ministering.  It was the sign of the acceptance of the people by God.  Nothing of these items was accidental or incidental – every piece had meaning to enhance the act of worship.  What a great example for us to follow in our worship.  Don’t waste any act of worship.  Let it all be meaningful and meaning-filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment