Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Be Prepared, it will come


    
I Peter 4:1-2, 12-19

Suffering for Christ can deepen our walk with Him.

The first time I read through this passage, I felt discouraged, thinking about suffering.  There is a certain kind of fear that lingers on the edge of my mind when I consider suffering.  So I read the passage again, actually several more times, trying to grapple with that sense of doom that was trying to discourage me. 

I noticed that there are several things the Christian believer is told to do in order to prepare for the time when some kind of suffering will come.  As we prepare ourselves, our walk with God deepens.  Being prepared is what will carry us through those dark times of suffering, no matter what form the suffering may take.  Recognizing that there are things I can do to handle my suffering better gives me a renewed sense of power for facing whatever may come in my future.

How does a Christian prepare herself for that inevitable suffering?  We have all had suffering of one kind or another in our lives, and will no doubt have it again, so we may as well prepare, right?  I found several things I can do to be better prepared for the next time:
     1. Arm myself mentally (v.1).  That is the first step… let God help me see/understand the circumstances I face from His point of view.   
     2. Don’t be taken by surprise (v.12).  Remember that God allows suffering for a good reason, and He will help you through it because He wants you to become stronger in your faith and walk.
     3. Change your way of thinking about suffering (v. 13).  Instead of bemoaning your situation, ask God to help you see His hand at work.  When you do that, you will remember that God will be helping you face the situation.
     4. Think ahead (v.13).  Do what a runner does and think ahead to the goal you have and the reward if you succeed in your quest.  Our goal is the presence of God in our lives now and heaven in our future.  No matter what suffering we may have, the end result will be the same … eternal joy in heaven.
     5.  Do not be ashamed to trust God in your suffering (v.16).  Verses 15-19 remind me that everyone suffers, but I have no suffering compared to someone who does not know the Lord.  How many times have you (as I have) said, “I don’t know how someone could handle this if they couldn’t trust God”?  That is the principle at work in these verses.
    6. Let yourself continue to grow stronger in your faith (v.19).  Do not allow your suffering or your insecurity about handling your suffering deter you from trusting God. That will speak volumes to those outside the faith, or who are weak in their faith, as they observe how you handle your suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment