Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Whatever it takes


Matthew 10:18 And you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to be witness before them and the Gentiles.

Somehow, in all the times I have read these words of Jesus to His disciples as He sent them out, I missed what I see today as a key element in this statement in v. 18.  I have always looked at the emphasis here as being in the fact that what persecution the disciples received from authorities was because of the message they were preaching.  Today as I read this verse the last phrase stood out to me.  The persecution that brings them before the rulers is “in order to” bear witness before those rulers.  As those in authority, governors and kings are usually unapproachable by any except a very few, so how would they hear the message of Jesus unless someone is brought to them to explain why they been arrested?  It is a “logical” way for the gospel to get to such people.  This has reminded me that God will do whatever is necessary to ensure that everyone (even “unapproachable” rulers) hears the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment