Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The inability of Jesus


Mark 6:5 And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them.

I think this must be one of the saddest verses in the Bible.  There is sadness in it from just about every angle from which I approach it.  Jesus, the Son of God, capable of doing anything was unable to do His mighty acts in that town because of their unbelief.  Unable to do them.  He was not able to do anything exceptional because of their unwillingness to believe that the person they had known for 30 years was anything more than an ordinary person.  And to heal the sick was a miracle but the verse implies He could have and would have done even more miraculous things except for the persistent unbelief.  One has to wonder what those unbelievers in Jesus’ hometown missed because of their unbelief.  It makes me stop and wonder if I have ever kept God from working in my own life or family because I was not open to His doing so.  I pray that will never be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment