Thursday, July 6, 2017

Protect myself



II Chronicles 25:15b Why do you consult this people’s gods, which could not save their own people from your hand?

It is very difficult to understand why King Amaziah began worshipping the idols he had captured from the Edomites when he defeated them in battle.  The Bible does not tell us his thought pattern that brought him to that.  Earlier in chapter 25 we are told that as king, Amaziah did what was right in God’s eyes but not wholeheartedly.  Yet, somehow Amaziah got way off balance spiritually and fell prey to the idols of the enemy.  It made no sense but it happened.  After his refusal to accept the prophet’s reprimand, everything fell apart spiritually for Amaziah.  I can see from this story that there is a great danger in allowing a small crack in the wall of spiritual defense.  The phrase “not wholeheartedly” gives me pause for thought in my own life.  I must be careful to repair every crack as soon as I see it so as to protect myself from spiritually straying.

No comments:

Post a Comment