Thursday, May 23, 2019

Grace in the wilderness


Jeremiah 31:2 The people who survived the sword found grace in the wilderness…

The paragraph in which this verse is found has a title in the Bible I am using: "The Lord Will Turn Mourning to Joy.”  This chapter in Jeremiah talks about how God will restore His people spiritually when they have repented of their sin.  As I thought about that promise of forgiveness and restoration, this phrase “grace in the wilderness” came alive in a new way.  When I repent and receive forgiveness, there are times when God has to give me grace as I live through the consequences of my sin.  That would be a “wilderness” which does not mean my sin has not been forgiven.  For those times of wilderness, God will give the forgiven person grace to help them through the natural consequences of sin that has been committed.  In the following verse (v.4) this truth is affirmed when God says, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore [notice what He says next!] I have continued my faithfulness to you.”  God, out of love, applies His grace and faithfulness to every repentant sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment